The Institute for Community Sustainability (ICS) was funded in February 2012 through ISU's Unbounded Possibilities initiative. When ICS was funded, much excellent sustainability work was already underway in the Wabash Valley; in addition to generating new sustainability projects, research, and education, ICS links, communicates, and supports existing sustainability initiatives in our community.
Accomplishments to Date:
- Applied for $2.4 million and received $68,800 in external grants, generating 30% of our own funding
- Coached more than 3,600 experiential and community engagement student learning experiences
- Gave 43 sustainability presentations, including 5 international presentations
- Formed a network of more than 75 community partners
- Generated more than 630 news articles and other media pieces
- Contributed over $48,000 in in-kind donations to community sustainability efforts
- Hosted 135 major events open to the public
seeks to improve the environment and increase quality of life in the Wabash
Valley through education, collaborative projects, and research. ICS engages our
community as a living laboratory to find economically viable sustainable
solutions for local organizations and individuals.
be the regional leader and a national leader in the demonstration and
achievement of sustainable community and business practices.
create, in the Wabash Valley, a living laboratory for research and
implementation of sustainable practices.
educate and actively engage ISU students, public schools, and the Wabash Valley
community in sustainable practices.
make ISU an exemplar of a sustainable university community.
create a diverse income stream for the Institute that includes research grants,
philanthropic giving, service contracts, speakers fees, conference fees,
intellectual property, and patents related to sustainability in order to fund
ICS’ work in the community.
be a community leader on transitioning to a more sustainable
become a resource for sustainable practices by enhancing technology transfer
and information dissemination concerning sustainable solutions.